I love egg salad, especially when it’s done just right. Please notice I didn’t say “perfect.” I realize that “just right” is relative to each person, so here’s MY “just right” version.
NW Mama’s Favorite Egg Salad:
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp horseradish sauce*
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- Salt & pepper to taste
Put everything into a food processor, and pulse a couple quick times to chop it up. You could also just mash with a fork, but I was feeling especially lazy on the day I made this. Really be careful, you’re not wanting deviled egg filling (or maybe you are?).
Now, this part is up to you: sandwiches, wraps, or on top of a bed of greens? If you’re like me, just eat it right out of the bowl. Let’s not bother with dirtying another dish.
*You could use just straight horseradish for this, but then you would want to back off on the amount. I would start with 1 teaspoon and go from there.
How to make perfectly hard-boiled eggs:
- Place eggs in a large enough heavy bottom sauce pan / small dutch oven, so that they are covered with approximately 1-2″ of cool water. Add a teaspoon of baking soda to the water (This makes the eggs easy to peel).
- Place pan over medium / medium high-heat and bring to a boil.
- Let the water boil for 2-3 minutes. Then turn the heat off and cover immediately. Let the eggs sit for 10 minutes.
- Pour off hot water and IMMEDIATELY place eggs into an ice-water bath (bowl filled with ice and water).
- Let sit for a few minutes to cool off – then peel.